Are you ready for this 21 day fix chicken tortilla soup? Losing weight never tasted so great! This is a super simple recipe to itch that roasted chicken and tortilla crave with but in a healthy and clean way! Combining this classic recipe with a soup base gives us my famous Roasted Chicken Tortilla soup. Just have your roasted chicken prepared and follow the directions!
- 1 whole chicken, roasted
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4 ounce can diced green chilies, undrained)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Remove the skin from the roasted chicken and shred the meat. Set aside.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, water, diced tomatoes with their juice, green chilies, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the shredded chicken and bring the soup to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tortilla strips in batches and cook until crisp, about 2 minutes per batch. Remove to a paper towel lined plate when done.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with tortilla strips, sour cream and cilantro.